Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Magical Land of Awesomeness

 Since July I have had an inspiration for this piece of poetry but finally wrote it about a week ago. It's my first poem written totally in free verse and sort of an experiment in that style. (I'm taking British Lit. right now and learning about poetry and they encourage free verse, so I thought it was about time to try my hand at meter and rhyme free poetry.) I hope you enjoy!


I push open the door and I step inside.
An aroma,
Sweet and pure,
Floods my senses.
The mixture of a magical bean,
And the crisp smell of paper,
Seem to illuminate the mind.


The sight of knowledge, 
Of souls on paper,
Of everything you could ever dream to know,
Is all sitting in front of you. 
Whatever you could want to learn
There is a private instructor in the room.
Just waiting for orders so they can be used.


The familiar logo
Comes into view.
A smile comes to my face,
My steps quicken,
I hurry up to the counter,
Order a latte or tea.
I sigh and sip, 
Life seems perfect.


So now I go to explore
Through paper jungles.
Until I find the beast I’d like to conquer,
I take it from it’s home,
I finger it gently
Then decide to make my move.
I open it up and take a look
And if what I see pleases me
I’ll find a good chair to sit in
After the exhaust of the search.
I relax and dive right in
To simple thoughts on paper, 
Now flowing into my mind.


I dearly desire that you have guessed
Where this lovely land of coffee and paper dwells. 
Of course this is the one and only…
Barnes & Nobel

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I really like it. Totally...realistic like, yet still having that sort of dreamy aspect. ;)

    ReplyDelete