Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Our Adoption Story Part 1

 In the 1960s there was a young, sixteen year old girl from the Fargo North Dakota area who was pregnant. She may of been from a wealthy, or a poor home. She might of had a good relationship with the father of the child, or she may of not. Nothing is known about this girl but her age and that she gave up her little baby girl for adoption.

 After a few months in foster care, this baby was placed to be adopted by the family of a Christian farmer, about an hour or so from Fargo. They had five boys, the youngest being about age four at the time, but they had no girls, and this baby was a welcome and dearly loved addition to their family. They named the baby Kimberly (Kim) and she grew up as much a part of her family as her five brothers.

  As you may of guessed, Kim is my mom. God's sovereignty is so evident when looking at the full picture of my mom's story. Most likely my mom wouldn't of been raised in a Christian family, gone to a private school where she met my father, or had me or my biological brother, or adopted my other three siblings... if it wasn't for her own adoption. Of course, God could of worked out all these things, but it's still so amazing to see His mercy and grace in letting my mother be adopted.

 It's been an interesting perspective to have an adopted mother. Growing up I think I always knew she was adopted, but when it came to my mom's family, it never felt any different then just plain family. But my mom's adoption has effected me and my entire family for the better. My grandparents started a very special legacy when they adopted my mom who went on to adopt and who's children have hearts for adoption.


My beautiful momma. :)


 In part 2 I'll share what God has done with that legacy and how it's still alive and working today.

5 comments:

  1. Praise God for the legacy of the faith of grandpa and grandma Strand! Adoption isn't their only legacy, but certainly a significant part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olivia! I have really enjoyed reading your blog tonight - for many reasons. One is that adoption is near and dear to my heart as I have three beautiful blessings through adoption at home and two more on their way from Haiti. Another is that my children are also being raised as PK's (more specifically, MK's) and it is so encouraging to observe your love and commitment to Christ. And finally, I have loved to write for as long as I can remember and can see that you, too, have that passion and a gift for using it to God's glory. Keep writing for Him!

    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Stephanie (in Chile)

    http://garcias2chile.blogspot.com
    http://iansadoption.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mamma is beautiful. I'm saving these links and may pass them on to clients in the future!

    Blessings,

    Abigail @ Pearls and Diamonds

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great is God!? To work all of that out just perfectly--it just amazes me how God make families perfect for each other, even when they started out somewhere else. Beautiful, isn't it? :)

    Looking forward to part two!
    Love you, dearest! ^_^
    --Ab

    ReplyDelete