Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Life - And Snow

 Life. 


It's a crazy thing really. Always changing, always moving, always keeping you on your toes... So many things come up that are unexpected. So many distractions and things that fight for your attention and admiration. So much to balance and maintain. So many good things, that may not be the right thing. So many different things going on. 


 At least that's how I feel my life is going right now. Balancing school, family, music, photography, friends, chores, the play I'm in, "church" related things, and my personal spiritual life is a definite challenge and something that I'm not doing the best at currently. On top of that, the winter that it still hanging menacingly over my head,  telling me that summer shall never come. 
 Yes, I am aware that the snow makes for some beautiful pictures... but I'm ready for it to be over! I am ready for photo shoots that I don't have to be bundled for head to toe to do. I am ready for kayaking the beautiful lakes and maybe even being convinced to go fishing with my dad (I can't catch fish... they don't like me). I am ready for tubing and trips up to my grandpa's cabin. I am ready to grow a garden all in pots and have enough herbs and spices to last me through next winter. I am ready to spend leisurely days reading Jane Austen in the hammock and writing songs under the warm sun. 

 Life just seems better without snow. 

 Some of you may hate me for saying that, but I've been looking at snow everyday since November and it gets tiresome. Some may say that I am living in the wrong place, but truly, I love Minnesota... when it's not covered with snow. Snow destroyed my beautiful fall foliage as it violently froze the still green leaves right off the trees... seriously Mr. Snow... just go away. 

 Do I sometimes trust in sunshine and summer as my "functional Savior"? Sadly, yes. Is that wrong? Yes. Do I need to repent? Yes. Am I still sick of the snow? Yes.
 
 Well there is nothing that I, a meager human, can do about it except wait. And be thankful that it's not April and there is still snow. I could go my entire life without another April snow storm of 24 inches and I am praying so hard that it does not happen this year. I suppose I'll just take hope in the fact that it wont last forever... and that at least I don't live in Narnia under the White Witch's reign.

"When February rolls around I'll roll my eyes

Turn a cold shoulder to these even colder skies

And by the fire my heart it heaves a sigh
For the green grass waiting on the other side"
- Relient K - In like a Lion (Always Winter)

2 comments:

  1. Hi olivia, I stumbled upon your blog! and I really love reading your post because you really encourage me being such a young but yet mature and growing christian striving to glorify God in everything you do :) continue writing! because you are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you're a Minnesotan too? That's awesome--same here. ;)

    I LOVE MN...although, I agree with you. It would be better with no snow. Er...let me rephrase that. LESS snow and LESS cold. ^^

    Love & Blessings,
    --Hannah

    ReplyDelete