Wednesday, February 24, 2010

One Week of Water

   It’s official; I’ve made it one whole week without coffee. I can’t even remember the last time I did that! (Though truthfully, it was probably only this summer.) I’m past the nasty caffeine headache and today especially I have had more energy then normal. Despite the fact that the below zero temps are making me crave some hot coffee or tea to warm me up; my blankets, sweatshirt, and slippers do the job just fine.

 Of course I miss caffeine while doing algebra and I miss drinking tea while reading Emma, but through this “sacrifice” I’m learning something far more valuable. Firstly, it’s a reminder that I am blessed beyond imagination. I have access to water, which for too many other people is not the case. My water is also clean and I don’t have to worry that I could die from diseases in the water. Every time I’m tempted to pour some coffee or even grab a glass of milk, I am reminded that I am blessed. It’s also a reminder to pray for those that do not have what I do.

 Second, I’m realizing how much I (aka, my parents) spend on drinks. I estimated about $23 saved just in one week. Of course I’ve been very busy this week and spent the weekend in Minneapolis, which adds more then normal expenses in the beverage department. By the end of the 40 days I will likely have saved almost $100, which is really crazy! It all goes to a great cause though and I am really excited to see it be used to provide wells for people in Africa. (Check out Blood: Water Mission)

 Thirdly, it’s building both self-control and dependence on God. Saying “no” can be oh so good for a person when it comes to temptation. At the same time, it requires asking God for the strength to say no and relying on Him for what we desire. I’ve really felt dry and dull in my spiritual walk this winter, and already I feel the lethargy start to melt away. It’s not that giving something up makes you instantly closer with God, it simply shows your need for Him better and constantly reminds you of Him.

 So those are my musings and observations on my first week of 40 days of water. Feel free to check out my page and if you feel God calling you to match/sponsor me, I would love that! Be sure to check out Blood: Water Mission as well and hear more about the great work they are doing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment