Monday, March 8, 2010

Bird in a Cage - Original Song (With Video!)

 Well on Saturday I got a video recorded on one of my original songs "Bird in a Cage" and wanted to share it with you all. I wrote this one back in November and I really like the basic bones of the song, it just still needs some tweaking and embellishment particularly in the guitar area. It's a big leap for me to be sharing a song for two reasons.

 One: My songs are a part of me and when sharing them, especially for critique, it's like putting a bit of my soul on display. With encouragement from my brother, I'm working on getting past that and whether I do well or totally suck, growing from my experiences and developing as a singer songwriter. So putting a video of my singing on youtube, I see as an accomplishment in a strange way.

 Two: I am my BIGGEST critic. In general I'm a huge music critic and I hold a high standard of what I call "good music". I can't always measure up to my own standards and it's hard to admit that. But I am doing my best to grow and to become better, even if I never become as good of a singer/guitar player/songwriter as I would like.

So without further ado....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAWpy-raZeA

[Verse 1]
I'm a bird in a cage
Come take me away
So I can sing
La la...

I'm a prisoner within
Remove my chains
So I can dance
La la...

[Chorus]
I put myself in that cage
Now I cant seem to get away
Will you come and rescue me?
Wash my mistakes all clean?
Cause Im my own enemy
I blind my own eyes so I cant see
Can You come and do something with whats left of me?
I want to be free.

[Verse 2]
Get me out of this cage
I just want to run away
To you, to you - La, la, la

[Bridge]
Freedom is what I was looking for
Freedom is looming before me like an open door
So I'll jump into the unknown

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Olivia. That song was beautiful. I loved it a lot! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia, you've written a beautiful song. I'm a self-taught singer/songwriter and would like to say a few words of encouragement.

    I am currently taking one of the biggest steps of faith I have ever taken by going to a studio and recording my music. It's a leap for me for the same reasons you stated above. A year ago I would not have believed I'd be where I am today. But God has a plan, and in my weakness His strength shines the brighter.

    So I want to encourage you to keep writing music and keep sharing it. You'll grow along the way. The best way to learn is through experience and as you continue to step out in faith and exercise your gifts God will help and bless you. It sounds as though you have a good support group (your brother, for one) and that is such a great thing!

    You have a beautiful voice and I love your style! With some vocal training/coaching I am confident you'll find yourself content with your vocal abilities. It's not your voice that needs work per se, it's your technique. You should train and tone your voice and there are hundreds of resources available to help with that. One of the best out there right now is Singing Success. It may be an invaluable aid to you.

    Keep up the good work and remember that God qualifies the called, and His standards are much different than the world's.

    "For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

    But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

    And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

    That no flesh should glory in his presence.

    But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

    That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord." 1 Corinthians 1:26-31

    ReplyDelete