Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Faithfulness in Friends

 "Starting over again." 

 That was how I was feeling less then six months ago as I looked forward to our move to Virginia MN. I was excited that we were embarking on the great adventure of church planting and was excited to see what God had in store, but the thought of once again having to make friends all over was a daunting one. Sure I knew a few people over in that area, but no one that I was close to at all or that I ever saw myself hanging out with. So me and my mom started praying for God to provide me with friends.

 And He has! Oh my goodness, God has just been so good and His faithfulness is just so evident that I am left in amazement and awe. It all started back in late December when a guy I know started a student led Bible study with a few friends over in Virginia. I decided that I might as well go since I know what it's like to start up a Bible study and have a small turnout and it couldn't hurt to start meeting some other teens in the area.

 The Bible study started out small and for awhile, truthfully I was mostly just going to support my friend James. Then God started really working. The numbers for our Bible study grew, but that was only part of it. I watched as the conversations got deep and personal, the fellowship and depth to our relationships grew, and the Spirit of God was evident and working in our little group. At the same time I started visiting two of the youth groups in the area, one a sister church to our former church (one that I have a bunch of friends at) and the other that is a sister church to the church plant.

 Over the last few months the friendships have grown as I've witnessed God bring a bunch of crazy teenagers from different backgrounds, schools, towns, and churches together in a strange but awesome way. I absolutely love my little Bible study, I love my friends, and for the first time in a long time, I feel like I belong. That has to be one of the best feelings ever. 

 The best thing about the friendships that I am currently making is the foundation they have: a love for Jesus. It's been so spectacular to join together in prayer, worship, and Bible study with others every single week. This weekend I was at a youth conference and as me and some friends met to discuss plans for an upcoming event, we prayed together multiple times. And in general we just have come together to pray and I've never really experienced that. Sure, the goofing around and randomness and laughter has added to the friendships, but not nearly as much as the prayer. 

 I could easily ramble on for a long time... sharing how excited/anxious I am to be closer to everyone and all that good stuff, but basically I'll leave you with this: God is awesome and so are the friends He's given me. :D

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! It's great to hear how God has provided fellowship with other believers in the midst of other hard things. Just today one of my best friends and I were at our community college, and we sat outside for twenty minutes or so before one of my classes and talked deep theology and had a little prayer time in there as well. I love goofing off with him, but the real bonds of our friendship are increased when we have times like that.

    It's great to hear a story like what I experienced today happening in other's lives!

    Camden

    Acts 2:42

    And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Olivia! What a great story! I also am a pastor's kid and my family just took a church in a totally new community with new people. This blog post was such an encouragement to me because this is what I'm praying for as well. :) God is so good. BTW-Thanks for all of your blogging and pictures - they are amazing, and this is one of my favourite blogs
    to read! Peace! <><

    ReplyDelete