Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Backyard Monster

Here's another of my originals for you all! I wrote it about a month ago and it definitely is one of my favorites so far. I really like the imagery and had fun experimenting with metaphors and illustration. Still working on some kinks in the melody but hopefully someday soon I'll get a video of it up. Hope you enjoy!

Many have spoken about the elephant in the room
But I would take that any day over the current threat that looms
The more it’s ignored the bigger it grows
Feeding on the blood of the once aglow
Their screams pierce the midnight air
But we simply plug our sleeping ears

There’s a monster in my backyard
It sits right outside my door
But I’ve sound proofed my walls
So I hear the victims no more
There’s a giant running through my town
And it’s burning everything in sight
But as for now I am safe
So I won’t venture outside

The lucky ones that have escaped
Try to show us their pain
And we pretend to listen
Then we send them right back to where they were before
As long as they are outside
And we turn the music louder
We can stay inside our pretty houses
And not be touched by the horror

The monster keeps on growing
We do nothing to keep him from his prey
Just wait and someday all too soon
He will be kicking down the doors
And we will be safe no more


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Everyone!
    It's Emma. I'm posting this on every blog. Over at my blog Summer Girl, I'm hosting a poetry contest. Yes, I know, not very original, right? The thing is, I haven't done much poetry and I'm not very good at it, so you'd all be helping me a lot to get me inspired and to see what everyone writes about.
    I would love it if you would enter a poem! There are 3 winners (unless a lot of people enter), and I think you'll get an award of some sort if you win. Unless I can think up something better:)
    So please join! The more people join, the better, because then more people get prizes and the more people help me be a better poet!

    Thanks! Please stop by! http://summergirl-ew.blogspot.com.
    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete