Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Even When...

 God calls me to be content ALWAYS. Not just most of the time, not just when I feel like it, not just when it's convenient. Always. 

 Even when... this horrible sign continues to sit in front of my house day after day, week after week, and now we're approaching month after month. 

Even when I'm "forever" away from these amazing people. 



 

Even when I don't get to do "Father Abraham" in front of 70 people.


Even when between everyone in my family, rarely a day goes by that we don't have to drive into Virginia for something (church stuff, play practice, Bible study and friend stuff and the list goes on).

Even when tomorrow looks uncertain and we don't know what the final outcome shall be of our adventure in church planting or who shall be a part of our adventure. 

Yet despite all that, God is still faithful. He's still sovereign. He's still weaving together our lives to make a beautiful master piece. He has a purpose for everything. He has a purpose for our house not selling. And it's not a cruel or heartless purpose, it's good. And what He tells us to do is be patient. Serve Him, love Him, do what He has called us to do, and He shall move in His perfect timing. 

So now, we wait and find our contentment, our joy and our peace in Him alone. For Jesus + anything = idolatry. Jesus alone is what we need for contentment.

"I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Philippians 4:11b-13

(But also, please pray that God would sell our house soon. We found a house that we feel would perfectly meet our needs both as a family and as a church plant but we need to figure out a few things. So keep us in your prayers!)

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you and your family, sweet friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mentioned to you and Sam that my family used to live in Michigan, but I didn't mention that we didn't sell our house for a year and a half. Yes, it can be hard to have that sign out there month after month. But even more than that, God will see you through it. In the end, the path that God lays out leads to His greatest glory.

    I've been praying for the EFCA Church in Virginia since the beginning of December last year, and will continue to pray for the growth of that congregation and for your house. In fact, I just prayed for them! =)

    Camden

    Romans 8:28

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

    Jerimiah 29:11

    For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good, encouraging words! I had a hard week last week: we moved to a new house (upstairs! box after box upstairs!), and work seemed to be frustrating at times, and my back hurt, and I was grouchy, and, and, and...but your words reminded me of what's important. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete