Saturday, March 6, 2010

Goodbye Lullaby (Original Song)

  I said awhile back that I would post a few of my songs and that's precisely what I am doing right now. The first song I'll share is "Goodbye Lullaby", a song I wrote for World Aids day back in December. It's my brother Sam's favorite of my songs as well as one that we co-wrote the melody for when he was home on winter break about a week ago.
  Hopefully we'll get a video or good recording of it to share when he comes home for spring break in about a week, but for now, here are the lyrics and I hope you enjoy! 


[Verse 1]
As the sky fades to black // Life will never be the same // As she says goodbye to the child in her arms // She knows that she’s the reason / her baby has to die // The disease that holds her body / makes her infant son cry// Yet she sings…


[Chorus] 
Hush little darling 
Can’t you see it’s time for sleep
Hush, little darling 
You’re safe with me
So close your eyes 
Mama will sing you a lullaby


[Verse 2] 
All that night she held him // Soothed him when he cried // Until the sun arose / and she was glad there was no more night // She looked down at her baby / chest rising no more // Through her tears she sings…


[Bridge] 
Some night when she is lonely
She still sings her lullaby 
And when does, tears are never far behind 

(Copy-write Olivia Erickson, 2009)

1 comment: