Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Prostitution, Human Trafficking, Me, and Minnesota

 When a person thinks of modern slavery or human trafficking, the most typical thing to envision is girls in Cambodia being sold for sex, child soldiers in the Sudan, or slave workers harvesting coffee in Brazil. It's a horrifying thing when looking out into the world and seeing this cruilty and atrocity but far too often our involvement stops there, with the big obvious forms of human trafficking. We let it touch our hearts and even our pocket books and even at times, our prayer, yet we think it's something that's "out there" like lack of clean water in Africa. 


 But it's not. This is something I have come to realize more clearly over the last year and particularly the last few months. Over Christmas break I was talking to several friends of mine and the subject of human trafficking came up. One of them who currently attends school in Duluth, only 90 minutes away, mentioned the fact that it was something Duluth was having issues with because of their huge shipping industry. Though I had never thought of it before, it made perfect sense. A combination of huge ships, no way to monitor them without spending a fortune, and an easy way to bring foreign women in and pretty Scandinavian girls out and it sounds like a traffickers dream.


 After hearing about that, I went on a search to find out more about trafficking in my area and the results were not satisfying. Information was hard to come by and not very specific at all. I could find no organization or ministry or task force working to stop this or even information about exactly what is happening. What I did get was the assertion that it is in Duluth. And the reservations.

 I live in an area with a large amount of Native Americans and reservations and again, it made sense that prostitution and sex slavery would be among them. Most people in reservations are below the poverty line and come from broken families filled with drug and alcohol addictions and general darkness that includes things like sexual abuse. But here again, information on the connection to prostitution and human trafficking was scarce. 


 This furthermore brought me to study Minneapolis and as I did God pressed this burden onto my heart for the city. Here I was able to find news articles and task forces and information about the prostitution and human trafficking that goes on and I have been left broken hearted. There is such need a short four hour drive from my house and it's in a highly concentrated area that there are a few ministries and organizations reaching out to the prostitutes. At the same time, not enough is being done. 


 The issue of prostitution and human trafficking is such a messy, all encompassing, tricky thing to fight and sometimes it seems like "enough" will never be done. More and more, it's becoming evident that it needs to be something that the federal, state, and local governments as well as the police department, schools, churches, rescue and homeless shelters, and general public need to all work together to help stop or at very least minimize.  It can look so huge and scary from this perspective, but if everyone worked together, some real change could come. 


 And change has come. My mom remembers in the 80s being able to walk down Lake Street in Minneapolis and it was everywhere. Has it gone away? No. But it has become less public and almost harder to stop. Sadly, change is a slow thing most of the time and it simply takes time. And in that time women with be murdered by their pimps, fourteen year old girls will get addicted to drugs and develop Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, eighteen year old olds will be faced with beatings and unplanned pregnancies, and more women will be destroyed by this raging monster. 


 It breaks my heart and very soul and it sets it on fire to let my meager life be used as a vessel of the gospel. Of the good news to those who are broken, destroyed, lonely, hurting, and dirty. Jesus came for the sick, for the prostitutes and sinners, and it's up to us to make sure that they know that. I look forward with great excitement for the hope of how Christ can use me to reach the prostitutes of Minneapolis both someday through physical and active work, but also currently through prayer. 


 It's hard for me because I want to do something hands on and relational, but it's a matter of time. I'm still very young and still live four hours away. But I have no doubt that in time God will show me what He wants me to do and that He will guide and bless my desire to work with prostitutes. 

9 comments:

  1. Wow, this really hits home. As opposed to you, I only live an hour from the downtown Twin Cities, and have even done prayer walks down Lake Street. I think one of the greatest reasons human trafficking hasn't been prayed for by more people is that most people don't know of it's existence (especially locally). Praise God for your heart for this -- you've encouraged me to pray more for it!

    Camden

    Isaiah 58:6-7

    "Is not this the fast that I choose:
    to loose the bonds of wickedness,
    to undo the straps of the yoke,
    to let the oppressed go free,
    and to break every yoke?
    Is it not to share your bread with the hungry
    and bring the homeless poor into your house;
    when you see the naked, to cover him,
    and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've hit a nerve with me. This subject always gets me fired up. I've felt for awhile that God might want me to work with abused girls, but I'm not sure how or when. God can use you...even though it seems so big! Keep trusting Him...keep living with an open heart...keep praying! And may God bless you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this really hit home. I never thought of trafficking as much of a problem in the US, save for the areas near the southern border. Thanks for sharing this... great reminder to pray for these girls.
    Blessings,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this is a great post, Oliva!
    When I think of trafficking i always thing about other countries, never my own... wow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a Taskforce in Cedar Rapids, IA at the Wind and Fire Prayer Center that houses CRTEC, Center for Restoration of Trafficked and Exploited Children. They have seminars on how to identify Human Trafficking and certify you as an identifier with law enforcment. They are creating a movement to create awareness and are equipping ordinary people to build restoration centers for children who are rescued from sex slavery. (they will come along side us "little people" to do this, with legal forms and deadlines to get necessary centers built, only 4 centers with approx 45 beds exsist in the US) In October a bust in California arresting 52 traffickers and saving 48+ kids proved that 4 centers in the country was not enough. Children as young as 4 years old are being stolen and sold for sex, labor and organs here and all over the world.

    This is a very intense and eye opening seminar. You can go to their website at www.crtec.org. Also sharedhope.org has tool kits to promote awareness in your community, including, dvds, pamphelts, free books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so great to read this post and comments because it illustrates modern day abolitionists in the making. I ran across this post when searching for current articles on human trafficking in Minnesota. I am a leadership member for the Not For Sale Campaign Minnesota Chapter. If any of you are interested in learning more please visit http://www.notforsalecampaign.org/. This is the national website for Not For Sale that provides a great overview of the organization. If you'd like to further get involved, even from a distance, please free contact me at kmatezevich@gmail.com. My name is Korisa and I'd be elated to hear from all of you. YOU ARE NOT FOR SALE. I AM NOT FOR SALE. NO ONE SHOULD BE FOR SALE. SET THE CAPTIVES FREE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are starting a restoration center in Rochester. Is that closer to you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Olivia,
    I love your blog and I love your sweet spirit - I can really sense how much you love Jesus. I wish I had been as committed to Christ when I was your age! I am older now, and even have a few grown children (and 2 still at home). I also have a burden for women and children who are victims of trafficking and other horrendous crimes. I am a nurse and work with kids (who have cancer - at Children's hospital in Mpls). I often think that the only thing worse than that, is a child or anyone being held against their will and abused or trafficked. I hope someday to be involved in a ministry to such people as these. Thanks for the comments on your blog and for bringing attention to these things. For these and many other reasons, I say "Come quickly Lord Jesus!" But in the meantime, we must minister His Love and the Gospel to those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! Recently this issue has really been tugging at my heart strings... and I have been actively searching for a way to serve our Lord and Savior! Thanks everybody for the wonderful resources you have posted!!

    ReplyDelete